It’s Volunteers’ Week 2021 (1-7 June). To celebrate we’re sharing stories of our volunteers throughout the week to showcase the amazing work they do.
Here’s more about Jo.
Jo lives locally to KLS in Battersea and has been a support English teacher for a number of years. She has been volunteering with our Love to Learn team for over five years. Two years as a one to one Learning Mentor and three years with the GCSE Study Club.
Jo is an invaluable member of the GCSE Study Club and has worked with a number of young people. She has built a particularly strong relationship with Ayan. Ayan came to the UK from Eritrea two years ago to join a family member. When she arrived, she had missed a lot of schooling and spoke little English. She was also out of school for over 10 months while a place was found for her. Jo has supported Ayan throughout her time in the UK.
During Lockdown they continued to work together. Even though at times, Ayan only had a phone to work on or one laptop that she had to share with her younger sister, as well as no Wi-Fi at home. Ayan now calls Jo her friend and they continue to meet every week at KLS.
“l find volunteering with the Love to Learn team both humbling and highly rewarding. It has been so lovely to see Ayan grow in confidence and ability. She is such a focused young person, who has been a pleasure to work with. As a volunteer you just hope you can make a difference however small, and when you can see progress it really makes your day!”
Come and volunteer with us
Our volunteers are truly amazing. They help us run all of our community services.
If you’re interested in volunteering then please fill in our ‘Volunteer Application Form’.
Our volunteers help with:
- mentoring for an hour a week to support a refugee young person
- supporting one of our GCSE study groups that meet for 2 hours a week in Battersea
- helping out at a Homework Club on a Wednesday or Thursday from 4.30pm-7.00pm
- being an escort for older people on and off our minibus during the day Tuesday – Thursdays
- supporting older people as a ‘Fone Friend’- a telephone befriender with local older people
- teaching in our ESOL (English/Maths/IT) classes as a volunteer teaching assistant
- help with fundraising
- strengthen our communication and marketing
- and so much more.
Do get in touch. We’d love to hear from you.