This policy was agreed by KLS Trustees on 22nd October 2014.
All KLS policies are reviewed every three years (or earlier if the law changes).
This policy will be reviewed again in September 2024.
- About Katherine Low Settlement
Katherine Low Settlement is a charity that has been serving Battersea and the wider Wandsworth community since 1924. We are dedicated to building stronger communities and enable people to challenge and find ways out of poverty and isolation.
We run a range of our own community projects to support older people, refugee communities and children, young people and families. In addition to these direct services, we also use our premises to act as a local hub for other charities and community groups so that as partners, we can meet the diverse needs of the communities of Wandsworth. Each week we work with 45+ charities and community groups supporting more than 1,100 people. Visit www.klsettlement.org.uk
- Katherine Low Settlement’s Environmental Policy
Katherine Low Settlement believes that all organisations are responsible for achieving good environmental practice and operating in a sustainable manner. We are therefore committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy and operating model.
We are committed to the continual improvement of the way our organisation impacts on the environment and by these policies and actions shall inspire the confidence of our staff, volunteers, users and visitors.
The objectives of the KLS Environmental Policy are to:
- Recognise and meet legislation, regulations and best practice guidance.
- Seek to reduce all waste created as part of our daily process and operations.
- Seek to promote to reduce energy consumption where possible.
- Ensure that our policy is read and understood by all.
The policy is endorsed by the Katherine Low Settlement’s Trustees and will be reviewed annually to make sure it remains relevant and appropriate to the needs of KLS: its staff, volunteers, users and visitors.
This Environmental Policy is freely accessible to all.
- Legal requirements
Follow this link from the UK’s Environment Agency for the environmental legislation that may impact upon KLS’ work: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/142627.aspx
- Taking responsibility with KLS’ Operations
To deliver this policy, we have the following aims:
- Continually review, monitor and measure our environmental performance across organisation procedures, operations and policies and implement best environmental practice across the organisation.
- Use natural resources prudently.
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst its service users and suppliers.
- Conserve energy and other natural resources by regular monitoring and setting saving targets every year.
- Improve efficiency of materials use by reduce-reuse-recycle policy.
- Wholly support and comply with or exceed the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice.
To meet our commitments, we will:
- Review our environmental policy on a regular basis
- Set targets, monitor and communicate key objectives which will improve our environmental performance
- Ensure no electricity and heating is wasted out of business hours
- Reduce carbon emission by implementing good practice and improve heat efficiency
- Use recycled materials where possible
- Environmental awareness amongst staff and volunteers
This Environmental Policy will be disseminated to all current staff and volunteers and will also be included as part of the induction of new staff. Training will be offered to all staff and volunteers so they ‘live and breathe’ this policy and so conduct their activities in an environmentally responsible manner.