For an exam/test:
- Annotate the question and highlight key words.
- Plan the main points.
- Highlight some quotes.
- Check how your mentee usually writes an answer (eg. make a point, quote, explain ‘PQE’).
- Annotate the quotes to show what they mean.
- THEN start writing, with PQE in the margin to remind them.
- When they have finished, use coloured pens to go back and highlight the PQ and E.
- Remember the point should be short, the explanation is long.
You don’t just have to do exam-style writing!
- Find images to represent key quotes to explore what the language means.
- Write a job application for a character.
- Write a diary entry / Facebook / blog / tweet for a character.
- Role play being a character and your mentee can ask you questions.
- Design a poster for a film of the book.
- Draw the scene in a play/ book and annotate it.
- Story board the main sequences in a play/ text.
- Change the ending to make it happy/ sad/ a cliff hanger.
- Change where it is set- if story was set in a spaceship what would happen?