ESOL courses (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
Would you like to improve your English skills?
Are you learning English for the first time?
At Katherine Low Settlement, we have courses for complete beginners as well as more experienced learners. If you are interested, we will invite you in for an assessment and an informal interview to find out which level course is best for you.
- All our courses are free.
- Students study from Pre-Entry level up to Level 1.
- You will come to class twice a week for a total of four hours.
- All our courses run from September to July excluding the school holidays.
- Class times fit within school hours.
- We have a free creche for children aged 4 months to 4 years old.
- Most students who commit to their courses and attend regularly can achieve nationally recognised qualifications at the end of the academic year.
- If you apply after September, your name will be put on a waiting list.
All classes are taught by qualified teachers and supported by volunteer teaching assistants.
We also have Maths and IT courses (each two hours a week) for those that are studying on our English courses.
For more information on studying on our courses:
- Ask at reception and leave your details on our contact list.
- Follow us on Instagram.
Volunteer with us
Volunteers in ESOL quickly find themselves becoming part of the family when they join a class as a teaching assistant working alongside the class teacher. This is a rewarding opportunity to support people from different backgrounds and cultures, and also to develop your teaching skills.
Since our students bring a variety of skills and needs to the classroom, volunteers are an invaluable support for both the teacher and the students. This can be 1:1 support, small group work or moving around the class to help where needed. And for those that are considering teaching as a career, this a perfect opportunity to practice leading classes in a safe and supportive environment.
We recruit our volunteers to start in September – October and prefer you to commit to an academic year as this helps the class group to bond. We will provide you with a DBS check as well as support towards your goals.
If you would like to volunteer, please fill out our volunteer application form: